1. WHAT WE EAT MAKES US ACIDIC:
- High amounts of animal protein: all meats properly aged for consumption contain acids and acid-generation microforms. Note: The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in 1995 explained that dietary protein increases production of acid in the blood.
- Animals fattened with hormones will hold residues and acids in the fat.
- Pigs have poor lymphatic systems so toxic acids are stored in the meat.
- Meat, milk, and cheese – when used by our bodies causes acid to form. People who consume large amounts of protein may have digestive problems because they it does not contain dietary fibre.
- Cured meats, canned meats and processed meats contain high amounts of salt and preservatives rendering them acidic.
- Fast foods: Monosodium glutamate: MSG (E621) a food additive and taste enhancer contains glutamic acid.
- Low fat / no fat foods are likely to contain glutamic acid.
- Processed foods: These contain high levels of MSG which keep processed foods ‘artificially fresh’.
- Refined or processed foods are acidic: They are linked to obesity, low energy and digestive problems. They are nutritionally lacking, cause cravings, mood swings, and are addictive.
- Sugar: Any sugar not used for energy converts to acids that damage our cells.
- Sugar contained foods: Sugar and hidden sugars in cakes, biscuits, cereal bars etc. cause acid build-up in our bodies leading to indigestion and heart burn.
- Fructose, corn syrup, molasses, maple syrup, even some honey is acidic if the bees are fed on sugar. An alternative sweetener is Xylitol, a natural sweetener.
2. WHAT WE DRINK MAKES US ACIDIC
Currently weight control clinics focus on the calories and nutrients we should eat to be healthy but fail to emphasise what we should drink to be healthy. In fact diet drinks are recommended when trying to lose weight. The truth is diet drinks / soft drinks are very acidic and when our bodies are acidic they naturally hold onto fat.
- All soft drinks – coke, sprite, 7-up etc. : the high sugar content and other sweeteners make them 10,000 times more acidic than distilled water.
- Caffeine beverages: tea, coffee, coca – cola etc. are acidic and dehydrate the body making it even more acidic.
- Coca –cola: It contains phosphoric acid which takes calcium from our bones.
- Diet drinks: They contain artificial sweeteners which break down into deadly acids.
- Artificial sweeteners: Aspartame contains aspartic acid structurally similar to MSG.
- Saccharin: Nutra Sweet and Splenda (sucralose) when ingested convert into formaldehyde, a known carcinogen, (cancer forming substance).
- Alcohol: The fermenting process makes it acidic.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SOME BOTTLED WATER
1. Bottled water filtered by the reverse osmosis method is acidic because all the alkaline minerals have been removed.
2. Some bottled water is simply tap water that has been bottled.
3. Carbonated water (sparkling water) is 50,000 times more acidic than distilled water.
4. WHAT WE THINK MAKES US ACIDIC
- Negative thoughts
- Stress slows down the digestive system causing acid build up which may result in stomach ulcers, acid reflux and many digestive / bowel conditions.
TOXINS THAT BUILD UP IN OUR BODIES ARE ACIDIC: ELIMINATION OF TOXINS BY DRINKING ALKALINE WATER IS KEY TO GOOD HEALTH
- Without sufficient quality water our bodies cannot eliminate acidic toxic waste.
- A very good analogy: a toxic acidic body is like a silted, gunged up river with very little water flowing through it.
- When our bodies are bombarded with poor diets, processed foods, caffeine drinks etc. they store toxins as solid waste called FAT.
- Chronic constipation causes toxic gasses to flow back into the blood stream causing huge damage to our health.
- Clogged arteries, arthritis, kidney stones, gout and various chronic illnesses are associated with toxins in the system.
“I’m convinced that toxicity in the form of acidic waste is the primary cause of degenerative diseases”, for example osteoarthritis.
Dr Sherry Roger author of ’Detox or Die’
5. DEHYDRATION MAKES OUR BODIES ACIDIC:
In his book, Your Body’s Many Cries for Water, Dr F. Batmanghelidj reports how many diseases can be attributed to chronic dehydration. He says water is our most important nutrient and can resolve many health issues.
Did you know that the average adult loses about 2 -3 litres of fluid a day through
If the 2-3 litres of fluid is not replaced DAILY the body becomes dehydrated and acidic.
- Dehydration makes your body fat because when it is acidic it holds onto fat.
- Even mild dehydration slows the metabolism by as much as 3%.
- It hardens the kidneys which consequently function poorly.
- Joints may creek and crack from dehydration and cause pain in the joints.
- Inner and outer skin becomes dry which increases the risk of infection throughout the body, for example sinusitis, chest infections, asthma, and skin infections like eczema.
Drinking caffeinated drinks, soft drinks and alcohol causes further dehydration.